Monday, January 25, 2010

Happy "Blue Monday," The Most Depressing Day of the Year


As the Monday that begins the last full week in January, today has been accredited as "the most depressing day of the year." If this is the case, this year, so called 'Blue Monday' falls upon a rather fitting anniversary, as on the 25th January 1640, Robert Burton, author of The Anatomy of Melancholy died.
I have never heard of this phenomenon before, but I certainly believe it, and the weather in NYC today is definitely doing its part to make the prophecy seen quite true.

Read the full post on the Wellcome Library blog by clicking here. Image: "Melancholy," Domenico Feti, 1620, Musée du Louvre, Paris, found here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good and holy days. This is my first visit.
Their work and the images from your blog are impressive(me).
I do not speak much English. Yet I read-I see...
Greetings from México.

Eva said...

It really did feel like blue monday today. I'm not surprised.

Paulita said...

fascinating! I was so freaking depressed yesterday